Friday, April 18, 2014

Bumday Necessities


                 Today was Good Friday. Today was also "no technology day" (a.k.a. no iPhone day). For most people, today was a day of fasting. Luckily for me, since I am underaged, underweight, and under-almost everything, I am one of the exceptions to that rule. So today was pretty much my not-so-average bumday.

                 Since I was supposed to sacrifice today, and the weather was too hot. I forwent the usual outfit shoot and did a "Bumday Necessities" shoot. It was actually just my necessary items for the day.


an overview.

Oftentimes, I find myself venturing into magazine stores and the occasional books for sale. I am obsessed with Teen Vogue, so I order the online versions for new releases. Fashion for me isn't always about what's currently in. I  also like to read back-issues to see what I can gleam from it and harvest. (Never thought I'd actually use the word harvest in a sentence without mentioning farming or farming techniques or even pigs). Since current newsstands do not tend to sell back-issues, I turn to Buffini (ATC) or the occasional Books for less ( Festival or Greenhills or MOA). Mostly, I buy back-issues because of all the graphics, styling techniques, and scoop I can get from an issue. 


a few of my favourites for today.


From L to R : NYLON November 2012 , Teen Vogue April 2012 , Teen Vogue April 2011. 
(yes both the teen vogue issues that I picked have the word "Prom" in it. *hint hint*)

I used to be obsessed with collecting all of Teen Vogue's issues per year from popular newsstands. I bought them for less than 400 pesos or about $8 an issue. At the time, I didn't know they had issues which were 100 pesos or roughly $2 each at Buffini or Books for less. They also didn't have the online version a.k.a app out yet. The app was released during the latter portion of 2012. By that time, the prices for the issues were significantly less. As 2012 became 2013, I started saving up my own money to buy more back issues but, during my Teen Vogue hunt, I would often stumble upon the occasion Vogue and Nylon. 

The difference between Vogue and Teen Vogue is slight. Mainly the target audience is a big difference. You can also note that the format for Teen Vogue is more splashy and colourful whereas Vogue's is more sophisticated and yen-ish. The one thing about Vogue that keeps me interested is it's stunning photographs. The shoot locations are amazing and the stylists are phenomenal. 

Another great find of mine is NYLON. Although arguably, Nylon isn't as popular as Vogue (and it's smaller magazines) it is still a high quality magazine. Nylon targets all my magazine goals and meets its standards. I have tried and tested magazines such as Seventeen, Prom, and Instyle (Just to name a few) and none of them have enough substance for me to itch until the next issue comes out. Those magazines are mostly gossip, and the style seen is mostly street style or "spotted". Sometimes, people don't need to copy their favourite actresses or singers. They need to be inspired to create their own unique sense of style by getting inspiration from magazines like Vogue and Nylon. Nylon targets not only teenagers but also adults. It also targets professionals such as stylists, and make-up artists and challenges them to come up with ideas that are similar to their own. The lay out of this magazine is one of my favourites because of the funky colours, chunky words, mixed typography, variant shades, and blocking to name a few. The style, music selections, make-up bits, and articles are always spot-on.  The magazine length is also pretty perfect, not too long to divert your attention and not too short to be cast off as a waste of money. Although they do have issues online, this is one magazine I'd rather buy back-issues of because I love everything about it. 



a peek inside NYLON's November 2012 issue. An article on Watercolour make-up.

Another one of my prized possessions that made it to my bumday necessity list is my polaroid album.
They say that memories are everything. Without them, what would we live life for? My english teacher once asked us "Would you rather forget all your memories but still be able to make new ones, or would you give up the ability to make new memories in order to preserve the ones you already have?" This question, after four months still has me grasping at the roots of my hair for the answer. The conclusion I've made is that, no one would give up their memories, and no one would ever want to stop making memories. Life is a joyride, that you should keep on riding till the day you die. 


I got my pastel pink Fujifulm Instax mini 8, in the Ocean Centre  mall in Hong Kong when I went with my family last December. I have been coveting this little toy for two years after I saw my best friends using them. I bought the Instax with part of my travelling money as a Christmas gift to myself along with five packs of film, a bag for my toy, film stickers, and a photo album. (Even though I bought this album in Hong Kong, I've found several photo album alternatives at Instagram shops.) Although I know that this album will be full in a few month's time, it still was worth my money because it's an organised method of looking through some of the best memories captured in time. It's days like these when I want to remember them the most.


(the inside)  Left page: Vela Ropa Moments ; Right: After Vela Ropa with Lonz 
(p.s. yes that's alice in wonderland film which I've already finished. *cue wailing and crying sounds*)

Of course what bumday wouldn't be complete without it's own soundtrack. I didn't blog about it, but coincidentally, the last day of school was also the day Jeymi, Kyra, and I saw the 1975 at ATC. Well, we saw their interview and we jumped over chairs to get there. Ayala Malls offered 3 options for this event. The group picture, the signed CD, and the signed photograph. My mom (such a saint, luv her), was at the mall since 11 AM to get me a signed CD ( for me to get a ticket into the event). The line to get the group photo was miles long unfortunately. My best friend Kyra's maids went to get the signed photographs for her and Jeymi. The experience itself was thrilling and that feeling was intensified because of my crazy screaming best friends. 


The 1975 is currently one of my favourite artists. Although, some of their songs have begun to strike me as annoying because of the riders. "Riders" are the annoying groupies who only like a band after they become popular. They tend to only know one song and whenever they are in close proximity to another human being, they sing or play that song. I tend to listen to this band by myself or when I'm in the car with my mother or my driver so I can listen to them in peace *cue mwahaha*


(Still can't believe it's signed.)

               Another one of my Bumday necessities are my gel pens.I currently have two sets, the kawaii simple one (left) and my Muji Colourful world set (right). I first saw these kawaii pens in online Instagram craft stores. Although I sort of hate the word "Kawaii", it's the proper term for it. I love all the prints and pastels surrounding the pen's frame. I rarely use it because my main gel pens are my Muji pens because of the amount of colours compared to the Kawaii ones. I bought the Kawaii Set at Fully Booked Alabang Town Centre for 150 pesos or $3. (They sell these also at various craft stores in Instagram but they are more expensive). Unfortunately for me, the Muji set was bought in Hong Kong by my dad (spontaneous purchase) during his flight back to Manila from a Business trip and although we do have Muji stores here in the Philippines, they don't sell the gel pens in sets this big and they have upgraded the look of the new gel pens. My dad got them for 150 HK$ or 1,050 pesos. Compared to the older version, they have a tendency to spill or poop and lag at times. (hope they fix that.) Unlike most gel pens, these Muji pens have a longer lifetime than most. I've already been using it daily for a year and most still have more than half of it's ink left. These pens are perfect for planner-booking (chloe style) and diary entries.


         A new year's resolution of mine is to be organised. Since I'm always swamped with school and pet projects, ballet, voice, photo shoots, family gatherings, and social outings, I need a constant reminder of my weekly activities so I have time to plan what time I need to leave the house, how many free hours I have left daily, how much money I can spend during an event, or when I have time to do other things. The whole of November to January, I have been searching for the perfect planner. Something that has daily inputs with timeframes available and a good layout so I have enough space to let my creativity flow. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have time to buy Starbucks everyday, so I couldn't get the coveted Starbucks planner but God had something better in store for me. Luckily for me, my dad was able to get me the DLSU 2014 planner. As usual the layout was simple and perfect and the design was minimalistic and kind of hippy. Although I sort of resent the cover, I totally heart the inside. 



        Of course I eventually Chloe-fied it. Life is so boring without colour and mischief lurking on the inside. I ended up ordering rolls of Washi tape to decorate it and adding random drawings and practicing typography. This way, the uniqueness of a date's events will help me remember easily.


Itinerary of February 3 to 8 of 2014. 

The last three items of my Bumday Necessities are a set of comfy loungers. Since you're just going to be around the house the whole day, why not stay comfortable? Your comfort depends on your body type and preferences. I don't have C cups, so I'm comfy wearing form fitting tank tops around the house. Although it also depends on my mood and my shorts. There are times when I wear my dad's t-shirt, or a loose crop top. The shorts are always boxer short and are either very loose, pretty loose, and skin-tight. Also since it's summer and the weather is suffocating my whole family, we tend to stay in air-conditioned areas. Thus, leading to the socks. It's too hot right now to be wearing sweats in the house so I settle for long soft socks. My feet get easily cold, I get that from my mother's side. 


Tank top from Uniqlo, Shorts from Calvin Klein (petite), Socks from Oysho (Madrid branch)

Today was actually pretty fun, even without my phone. I got to spend some quality time with both my parents and I got to update my planner. Although, next year, I won't be sacrificing my phone. I just got it back awhile ago and it won't be leaving my bedside for a long time. 


p.s. outfit post coming soon







27 comments:

  1. Love the pen case and all the doodles!! c:

    <3
    Harlynn
    mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi beauty! Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my last article! I am super happy to hear you like my blog and wish you a wonderful easter!

    www.thefashionfraction.com
    www.thefashionfraction.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post! You've got an amazing blog, wanna follow each other?
    Laura xxx
    http://gowestyoungcowgirl.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey laura! Thank you so much! Just checked out your blog, and followed you on both google connect and bloglovin. You are so gorg!
      hugs,
      chloe :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, looks like you have a lot here! Love the shorts, they're so cute!

    http://www.mckenziechannon.com/

    ~ Mckenzie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! They're really comfy and okay I gotta admit, I was pulled in by the print. :)

      Delete
  5. I love how you chloe-fied that little notebook, love your drawings and doodles - they're soooo cute!! :)

    Much love, www.anniepop.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww Thank you so much!! That means a bunch to me :)

      Delete
  6. Hello. Ok, i am following you. You follow me? ;) Thanks for the comment on my blog :)
    Kisses*
    http://lilirodriguespassionfruit.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love me a good fashion magazine!! I've been wanting a Polaroid camera! So fun!!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I'm following you hehe thanks for checking my blog out :) You should get one! It's a great investment :)
      hugs,
      chloe

      Delete
  8. I love fashion magazines, they're so good for inspirtation! Great post!<3

    lameyy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fashion magazines and Teen Vogue is great! Nice post and I love your blog! Followed you with Bloglovin :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teen Vogue is beautiful HAHA :) Thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  10. Love love love this post! I think it's perfect for a lazy friday!

    Definitely followed, oxox

    Veronica

    www.vontreal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much!! :) I agree! I'll be sure to check out your blog in about... oh right now! :)
      hugs,
      chloe

      Delete
  11. you have a beautiful blog. you're so creative!!Can't wait to read more :)

    XO
    www.dressedby-jess.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you <3 It's a product of computer coding class and endless nights on caffeine hypes. <3 aww you're so sweet! I'll be sure to check out your blog right now! :)

      Delete
  12. You have such a cute blog! I'd love to stay in touch. Would you like to follow each other on gfc and bloglovin? If you do so please let me know on my blog so I can follow back!

    Allthingsglitterandbeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I'll follow and comment right away hihi thanks so much <3

      Delete

"There are times when we are sure of who we are and who we want to be. I believe this time is that time."

Hey! Thanks for stopping by, please don't forget to comment down below so we can chat!